Thursday 16 February 2012

Video: The Kills - The Last Goodbye


Last summer, I went to Leeds Festival. It was Sunday afternoon and I was killing time, waiting for Cults to play on the Festival Republic stage. I flicked through my programme and noticed The Kills were just about to come onto the NME stage. I wouldn't say I was a massive fan of The Kills. Sure, 'Cheap & Cheerful' is an amazing song, and I'd recently purchased their latest album, Blood Pressures, but I had yet to give it a proper listen. However, throughout their set, Alison Mosshart stalked the stage, looking like a Tim Burton creation, and Jamie Hince basked in his ever-present aura of coolness. I couldn't help but fall in love with the duo. The part of that performance that will always stay in my mind, is when they played set-closer, 'The Last Goodbye'. Suddenly, the atmosphere changed, everyone in the tent was silent, focusing all their attention on this woman who seemed like she was bearing her soul live on stage. It is a rare occurrence to find a song by the The Kills that will move you emotionally, but 'The Last Goodbye' does just that. It was magical.

Therefore I was very pleased to find out that Alison and Jamie have released 'The Last Goodbye' as a single, the fifth from Blood Pressures. The video that accompanies the song is directed by Academy Award-nominated actress Samantha Morton, and it is a simple, yet stunning piece of work.



Brilliantly, The Kills have covered The Velvet Underground's iconic track, 'Pale Blue Eyes', as a b-side to 'The Last Goodbye'. I first heard the Velvet Underground original when it was used in the film Adventureland, and I have seen Alison and Jamie covering the track in videos of live performances. But, it's always nice to have a studio version, right? Right. Check it out below.

No comments:

Post a Comment