Tuesday 20 March 2012

Song of the Day: #34


I've had a complete Eminem obsession the last couple of days, where I've been listening to all of his albums on repeat. Even Eminem's biggest stan (see what I did there?) will have to admit that Em's career has taken a steady downward curve since he returned from a four year break to release Encore. So it's no surprise that I keep finding myself coming back to classics like The Eminem Show.

The Slim Shady LP, The Marshall Mathers LP and The Eminem Show are all phenomenal pieces of work. Flawless from start to finish. When Eminem was recording these masterpieces you would have been hard-pushed to find a better lyricist on the planet. He was controversial, funny, but above all, honest. When Eminem discusses his life and his relationship with ex-wife Kim he never holds back, which is why he won over so many fans. While I find myself continuously coming back to The Eminem Show, the song I have been playing the most is 'Hailie's Song', where he touches on his relationship with his daughter, something that he always refuses to talk about in interviews. This song is also a stand-out from the album because Eminem sings the first half of the song, to great effect. Despite the release of sub-par albums Encore and Relapse, Eminem is still one of the best rappers of all time, and it is songs like 'Hailie's Song' that allow you to look past atrocities such as 'Ass Like That' and 'We Made You'. Take some time to refresh yourself with an Eminem classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment